Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Through Space and Time

We went to West Virginia this past weekend. We drove for ten hours (12 total travel time with stops), spent two days in WV, and drove back Monday with a similar timetable.

I sat in the car for at least twenty hours, slept more than I have in a long time, and didn't really do a whole lot. The most active part of my weekend was the Electric Slide during the wedding reception. Now, while that was impressive while wearing my heels and doing the extra little turn-steps, the net of the weekend was basically a lotta nuttin'.

And I am exhausted!

Why does sitting in a car for a long time and relaxing a lot otherwise leave me so tired? I can think of some contributing factors, but no truly viable scientific explanation. So, you, my faithful readership, have the assignment of giving me an answer to this lifelong bothersome question. Feel free to discuss or assign percentages of impact from the following list:
  • age
  • circulation
  • movement (or lack thereof)
  • boredom
  • stress
  • change in schedule
  • change in environment (weather, allergens, etc.)
  • the possibility that man was never intended to travel through so much space and time at once

1 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Emmuh said...

Two theories:
1. RLS, also known as restless leg syndrome, could cause your body to be exhausted due to NOT MOVING for hours on end. Your body naturally wants to move a little, and in a car that is impossible. Before I knew there was a name for sitting in the car too long, I figured your body would be tired of actively sitting for hours on end. Just like we get tired of laying on our backs, or standing on our feet, our bodies get tired of sitting up. It takes a lot of energy to sit up, watch the road, read a book... I think you are more rested when you drive (your arms and legs are moving) than when you ride. When you ride, you better not move. The kid beside you will complain that "He's touching me..."
2. My co-worker Amber says that the vibration of the car makes you tired. It's a small bouncing that you receive from the car being on, but surely after hours of being in an adult-sized bouncy seat, your body would be tired of bouncing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home