Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Not so s'wonderful s'mores

Okay, so I am about to tell you the hands-down, stupidest thing I have ever done. Once I have explained my utter stupidity, I will ask you to make me feel better by sharing moments of your own stupidity. Please consider what you might share as you read... :)

The other night, Ben and I decided to make dinner. We looked around the kitchen and found exactly what we wanted for dinner: s'mores! Ahhhh...graham crackers, jet-puffed marshmallows, and classic Hershey-bars, making the perfect balance of carbohydrates and chocolate. We assembled our food elements, and Ben opted to consume the room-temperature version of the s'more. Because I like to "go for the gold," I naturally looked for a heat source to make real s'mores. Our gas stove seemed like a very viable solution, so I grabbed a fork and began to roast my yummy marshmallow over the blue flame. When it began to look very brown and ready to melt in my mouth, I constructed my perfect s'more and enjoyed every calorie of its tastefulness.

As I finished consuming my first course of dinner, I looked down at the fork and noticed there was some gooey marshmallow left on the end. I went in for the plunder, wrapped my lips around the fork, heard a strangely loud sizzle, and immediately felt searing pain in my mouth.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I burned my mouth on a fork I had been holding over a gas flame. Having experienced this first-hand, I would highly recommend avoiding this mistake. Burning off fork-shaped strips of skin in your mouth may be my subconscious activity of choice, but I hope it isn't yours.

The next two hours were spent with my lips around an ice cube and searching online for what to do for these kind of burns. Unfortunately, there isn't much material on this sort of injury. I did, however, find a fellow s'ojourner who made the same s'mistake as me. His story s'matches s'mine, s'tep by s'tep.

Now, it's your turn!!! Can anyone beat my stupid s'mistake? I challenge you...to a duel of idiocy!

5 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Blogger Gina said...

Yeah, I was sans cream, but, in divergence from your experience, I woke up in no real pain the next day. Just a bit of soreness. Maybe your burn was a degree or two higher than mine.
Anyway, thanks for commenting, and I am trying to stay strong...dealing with the humiliation...

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Derek said...

I've never done anything stupid.

Hmm, better not say that on my sister's blog, one of my siblings will surely come up with something!

The first thing I actually can think of in that kind of department was the day we brought home our couches. These were the first ones we had bought new (all of the others were either loaned to us or bought used). My friend Andy handed me his knife to cut the ties off (surely, you can see where this is going). It was a VERY SHARP knife, unknown to me -- Andy was an eagle scout, or something like that, and keeps his knives really sharp. Anyway, if you come over to my house today you can see the gash in the right arm of the couch. Right on the top where your arm would go. Never even got it in the door without damaging it.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Britt Mooney said...

howabout not remembering my own age? that's gotta rank up there ...

Britt

 
At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...the only story I can think of is this one time, I was in a spelling bee...

 
At 10:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The stories of my stupid and goofy moments are to numerous to count. But, at the same time my memory is so short that none come to mind at the moment, I'll continue thinking...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home